Monday, May 21, 2007

Thou Shalt not DANCE!!

So.. hmm.. if there's indeed no such commandment, why did I spend the first 28 years of my life feeling guilty if I so much as tapped my feet in time to music, again? Ok.. maybe not 28 full years, but.. hmm.. more like the last 18 of the first 28. Well.. the mind is a powerful thing, okay?
For those who haven't yet picked up on where I'm from, I'm a national of Trinidad and Tobago: land of the steelband and calypso, limbo dancing, hummingbirds and a Carnival that rivals Rio de Janeiro. Actually, it was the indigenous folks who called Trinidad Iere (land of the Humming Bird), but once the slaves and their masters arrived, and Columbus renamed it, the island became increasingly synonymous with music and rhythm. The slaves brought their rhythms and tempos, and the European masters brought their funky instruments, and the fusions of 300 years produced what we have, today.

In essence, it is an embarassment to one's heritage (especially if one is a Trini) not to be able to dance. Once I got over the guilt, though, I wanted to dance! I mean.. if Trini babies 3 months old know how to respond to music (rhythmically, at least), how could something so elemental be attached to shame? However, the modern dances of the youths revolt me. Imitating copulating dogs, horses, and other mammals on a dance floor is a bit too raunchy for me, thanks! So.. I joined a dance class. Ballroom dancing, if you please. I now know how to listen for and follow the rhythm and steps for the following dances : bolero, fox trot, waltz (which i hate and haven't mastered), samba (very basic), rockers (essential for reggae music), soca (essential for most Trini music), cha cha, jive and bounce/swing.


The ironic thing is that I'm now married to someone who can barely keep rhythm with his fingertips (much less, toes) ! However, I feel good that I've conquered my timidation about thinking/acting out of the (theological) box, and although I haven't been to a class in more than a year, I haven't lost my touch. It's good that if I go out on some social event/occasion, and there is music and dancing involved, I no longer have to decline (or worse yet, accept and be stepping on everyone's toes as I move around the dance floor). I'm happy that I have learnt some ballroom etiquette, proper posture and breathing, and balance. I'm pleased at the number of calories I have been able to burn while twirling left and right!

No comments: